Saturday, March 6, 2010

Grateful

I have found the key to life... just kidding.

In all seriousness, I have found the root of a lot of my anxiety, jealousy, anger, bitterness... all of those fun emotions that I feel on a cloudy day or when I read my People magazine.


Ungratefulness.


When I’m in a bad mood, whether justified or just because I had to eat oatmeal instead of Krispy Kreme...I’m ungrateful. I change my thoughts towards being grateful that I have food to eat when I’m hungry. When I’m grumpy, I stop and list the things that I’m grateful for and I feel the bad mood melting away.


When I’m jealous of someone’s opportunities, clothes, income, family, etc. I stop and thank God for all the blessing He has given me. Thank you God that we have an amazing adventure ahead of us without the boredom of consistency. Thank you God that I am have clothes to put on my back that match... most of the time. Thank you God that even though the math doesn’t add up, our bills get paid and we still have luxuries.


When I’m angry at someone I try and stop and be thankful that I have amazing relationships in my life and that my soul and heart are alive enough to feel injustice.


When I’m anxious I stop and thank God that He is in control of my life. Even though I am disorganized and scatter brained, instead of thinking it to be a curse I stop and thank God that He made me that way and put people in my life to color-code my planner.


Think about all of the burdensome emotions that you feel. Try countering them with a sense of gratefulness.


Thank you that even though my car smells like Chick-Fil-A and dog, it works.

Thank you that I have a job to go to, a messy house to come home to, and candy to give me cellulite. I’m grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment