Friday, May 28, 2010

Woman Up

So, I always hear the phrase, "Man up!" but I always think to myself, "Self, that makes just about as much sense as 'you can't have your cake and eat it too'. They are already male. And I don't want them to jump up." I mean, can we pause for a second and just try and understand the idiot that came up with the phrase, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." WHAT THE DONKEY ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH IT?! We're not on Double Dare, I'm not going to use to slime someone! Come on! If I have a cake, I'm going to eat it. I don't care what you say.

I digress. I think about all of the "man ups" and the "woman ups" because I think about how we so often spend all of our pep talks on others and forget to give ourselves the pep talk. Granted, every time the alarm goes off I give myself a good ole "Go for the gold Metzler!" but how about when I start to ponder pursuing dreams or being a good wife or a good neighbor? Where's my pep talk then? It gets covered up by the negativity, laziness, and fear. But I hear myself telling people all the time to persevere, woman up, and grab hold of their bravery. But where is mine? Do we as women hold up others' dreams and potential in place of our own? Don't hear me wrong, that's not a blanket question, it's for the individual. I know in my life, it's safer to spend my encouragement on others so that I don't have to deal with the excuses I've made in my own life.

Now I'm going to go eat cake and you can't stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment