Thursday, September 9, 2010

Are we there yet?



A girlfriend and I were talking about how difficult it can be when you’re making a decision for your family. The difficult part is the communication and the infamous waiting process between you and your spouse. (I really wish I could have played scary music while you read waiting process).


Let’s just say that patience is a virtue I’m working towards… ok fine, daily. AM I PATIENT YET?! I digress, I heard the funniest thing the other day that my friend Andrea told me. We both almost bought a lifetime supply of Depends because we were laughing so hard we thought our bladders were conspiring against us. “Women are DSL while men are dial up.”


I’ll let you laugh a bit more.


I know, I’m sorry you can hear my cackling all the way from where you are.


It’s funny because it’s true! When I think I have the right answer for our decision or I have a desire on my heart, I’m ready to go! I’ve already made the list, planned the escape route, planned my outfit, and planned for spandex to wear during my escape route.

Meanwhile, hubby is taking his sweet time doing ridiculous things like praying about this said desire or decision. Hmmm.


I am a firm believer in communication in general, but especially between husband and wife. So, I of course, voiced my desire to sweet hubby. He listened. He heard me. He asked me to trust him.


24 Hours later…. I voice my desire to hubby again. He listened. He heard me. He asked me to trust him.


12 Hours later…. I thrice (is that a word?) voice my desire to hubby. He listened. He heard me. He gave me the stank eye and told me I needed to trust him.


I realized that while I say I’ll follow my hubby anywhere and I trust him completely, my actions were not a great depiction of my vow. I had to unclench my fists that I had tightened around my plan and my desires and let them go. I have to trust that he is leading our sweet, weird family consisting of a crazy woman and a hyper dog down the right path.


And let me tell you, a quick way to a miserable marriage is to think I can manipulate him into agreeing with me or that giving him the cold shoulder will make him agree with me. Of course I have never tried such terrible tactics, I’m just guessing. You believe me right?! Right!?


Plllleeeeaaaase agree with me!!!!!!
(this tactic is also a no-go... again, not that I've ever tried it)


3 comments:

  1. Andrea for real!!! Can you believe how little MC is here?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. so true. why is it so freakin' hard to be patient???

    ReplyDelete