Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A thankless job, thank you very much!

The Lord has been convicting my heart a lot recently about my own desire for praise. I don't ever do a "thankless job". I want the thanks. I find myself doing things for the affirmation of man, the validation of man, and the recognition of man. Even things like wearing a cute outfit; I look at Sam with a death-look threatening his very manhood if he doesn't tell me that I look hotter than Sandra Bullock. Of course... never using words. These expectations are all in my head (perhaps where this blog should have stayed).

Then I read this:

"So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty". Luke 17:10.

Well crap. I am an unworthy servant. As much as I try and make this life worth a good story or full of laughter, it pales in comparison to the life that Christ lived. It doesn't hold a candle to the God Almighty dying on a cross. So I will try and pray that I can silence the expectation of the "thank you" or the recognition in everything that I do. I mean everything. My life isn't meant to be lived for you... no offense. But loving you and pouring into your life, well, that's the very least I can do, and I love every minute. Cooking, volunteering, tithing, cleaning, teaching, counseling, having coffee with women around the Triad, reading Scripture, all of those things... my duty as the unworthy servant. Let us rejoice.

No comments:

Post a Comment